Posted on Leave a comment

Learning Log 14-01-20

Having taken a bit of time between the actual work of Exercise 4.2 and posting about it on my website, I’ve had time to reflect on my experience with the exercise. I was very inspired and excited in the beginning of the session. I had researched my artist and learned a lot about his career, his methods and the individual piece I chose to examine. I also had the opportunity to learn about gouache and papers that are most definitely NOT intended for painting, especially not water-activated paints like gouache. 

I experienced frustrations such as the paint pooling in places I didn’t want it, the paper sucking up too much moisture before I’d made the marks I had wanted to, and the scale of the painting really limiting the effects I was trying to achieve but I also experienced adapting to the situation (media) by problem solving with tiny paint brushes, acrylic paint, and experimenting with the saturation/viscosity of the gouache. In the end I was thrilled with the results of my experimentation. 

Before I had started to work on the actual painting, I took the time to “meet” the gouache. I worked with the blue, white, and greet – the colours I’d be using to create the background. It was in these experiments that I came to learn how absorbent the paper was and it was in those moments that I had begun to consider solutions to this challenge. In doing these explorations, I was also able to overcome some of the “Paralysis of Possibility” that can hit when faced with new sketchbook pages. I was prepared to experiment, explore, and make marks using the gouache. 

Because of my extremely busy life, the only time I was able to do this exercise was at our off-grid, remote cabin. That meant that I had to anticipate my needs ahead of time and that if something came up while out there, I’d simply have to adapt. For the most part, I think I managed to do that just fine. When I was working against the super absorbent paper, I was sincerely wishing I had some white acrylic paint that I could use to prime the paper. But in the absence of that, as with every other challenge presented throughout the work, I managed to problem-solve it and achieve an outcome that I was satisfied with. 

I found learning about Twombley’s work and methods to be incredibly interesting and I enjoyed this part of the course tremendously. I think I chose a piece that lent well to this particular exploration and that it led me to make some very exciting discoveries about myself, about gouache, and about trouble shooting when presented with obstacles. This exercise was GREAT fun! 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *